Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The First Neurology Appointment in San Francisco

I finally had the long awaited neurology appointment.  I'd been told horror stories about spending hours and hours at San Francisco General, trapped in their free medical care system.



My appointment was for 9:15am.  I got there at 9:00am, and was assigned yet another card for my wallet.  We sat and watched the first part of "Live with Kelly" (minus Regis, yeaaa, I didn't like him), and was taken to a room.  Annie checked out each corner and the doctor came in.  Talk about quick!

She did a very thorough physical exam, doing things I've never done before.  A tuning fork, for one thing, placed on various parts to see if I felt the vibrations.  No, on the hands and feet, some on the arms and legs.  She gave me the "Remember 3 Words 5 Minutes Later" test.  For the first time ever, I did remember.  And still do.  They were car, 24, and Chicago.  Guess why I was able to remember them.

Anyways, I was home by 1pm.  That included bus rides.  She spent 2 hours with me.  Which reminds me - I need to get my MRI records from Idaho.  She said they should be on a CD.  I told her I wasn't sure Idaho knew of medical records being put on CDs yet.

She prescribed physical therapy, which I've had before, but only for 6 weeks at a time and then the insurance ran out.  It doesn't run out here, so I'll go as long as necessary.  She wrote a prescription for a service dog (cause I'm tired of my landlady being so damn picky about Annie), AND the cats, saying that because of my numb hands, petting the cats was some sort of sensory good thing!  I have to have another MRI before she'll prescribe one of the big gun MS medicines, and she decided to let the physical therapist decide about the wheelchair.  I have fallen twice today, once yesterday.  It's looking more and more like a wheelchair is in my future.  She also prescribed mega dosages of Vitamin D, which is the current "cure" of the year for MS.  When it was prescribed in Idaho, it was $20 a pill, and Medicaid or Medicare didn't pay for it.  It does here.  She also prescribed something for ... something else.  I can't remember.  Spose I should go pick those up.  Hmm.

When I left and was signing out, there was someone ahead of me, complaining about his long wait.  I felt bad for the receptionist, and told her that they were the Cadillac of Medical Care as far as I was concerned.

Okay, how was I able to Remember 3 Words 5 Minutes Later?  They were car, 24 and Chicago.





~

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are in a very good place finally to be taken care of properly. And the need for your animals validated!'
    Happy new year,
    Jessie
    Like the music....

    ReplyDelete

Cheer or jeer me on...